Thursday, September 10, 2009

Review: "Five-Star" Hotels.

I've been in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi about two weeks, and am currently living in my second so-called "Five-Star" hotel. I offer the following reviews:

Le Royal Meridien, Abu Dhabi:

At first, I was impressed by the design of the building and the staff whose mission it seemed was to please me. Then I dropped 350 dirhams (about $100 American) on the floor in the lobby. It took the staff a full twenty minutes to find and return it to me. Furthermore, after we finished our complimentary chocolate-covered strawberries and meringue, housekeeping neglected to remove our fancy dessert plates. I had to stare at dirty dishware until the next morning, when they delivered my newspaper and slippers. The fresh fruit guy who came in the afternoon forgot to thank me for the honor of allowing him to deliver me fresh fruit, and, as it turns out, our window was not overlooking the Persian Gulf, but "The Arabian Gulf". To top it all off, at the end of our four day stay, the place was a complete and utter mess. Four Stars.

Hotel Rotana, Al Ain:

Beautiful city, beautiful hotel, but only four stories tall. It's as if the builders were afraid of some "edict" issued by some "national paradigm" stating that no building could be taller than the big mosque. Grow some balls.

While the staff has delivered extra coffee, milk, tea, and non-dairy creamer every day and organized the sink area, they have not once actually made my coffee. They clean the room thoroughly, but they simply fold all our dirty clothes and place them into neat piles instead of doing our laundry.

Three Stars.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like you need a Judy to complement the mediocre staffing situation at these hotels. I'll see what I can do about having one sent over.

    ReplyDelete