Thursday, September 10, 2009

Buying Liquor/Beer/Wine in an Islamic country during Ramadan.

Let me state that I have not yet done this. I do, however, have a source whose gossip has proven to be reliable. And while I enjoy the sort of forced sobriety that the UAE offers, it would be nice to know where to get some alcohol every once in awhile. Internet searches have proven useless in trying to locate a bottle shop.

In Al Ain:

Store Name Unknown. This place exists. I know this because it has been confirmed by several people who I barely know, and I have a crudely drawn map. Ask the taxi driver to go to the Hilton - he will not know about the package store. Go past the security office, and there will be a lit storefront without a sign. That's your liquor shack. Ramadan hours are 10 PM to 5 AM.

Spinney's. Supposedly next to the vegetable souk. It DOES exist, contrary to what the first few internet hits will tell you. Again, I know this because people I met two weeks ago have told me it's true. (I'm gonna get me some of that inexpensive produce for use in our gourmet hot plate cooking anyway - at that point, I'll post a map).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous tips from restricted websites seem to be tentatively confirming your information. That's all I can tell you at this time. AvEst007 over and out.

    ReplyDelete