Thursday, November 26, 2009

5 AM Arab Alarm Clock

Alhamdulilah, and Eid mubarak to the mosque across the street, which woke me up at 5 AM this morning. And congratulations on the new sound system. I look forward to waking up to the beautiful sound of "ahhhhh alaalaaa ahhh bu uhhh alaaaa buhhhh ahhhh alaaaa" at 5 AM every Friday from this point forward. Please, make every day sacred, so I never have to live a moment without the sweet notes of "Laa ka maa ahhh ka ma ahhh buh uhhh". Get even bigger speakers so I can hear that angelic voice when I'm at work, singing "Khaa fla baaa ala ala kha fla mbahk a rakh fla kha", for a solid two hours.

It's something foreign for an American - not foreign in the sense that everything here is foreign, but foreign on a conceptual level - that worship is broadcast for all to hear. Maybe a service shows up on television in America, but you can choose to change the channel. You can sleep through it. Here, you're subjected to it. I love the idea that God is around in this country. And I love the idea that the people are so dedicated. I just wish it were a more private affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment